Travel: Where I’ve been, where I’m goingPosted: February 17, 2011
Somewhere (in storage) we have that book, “1000 Places to See Before You Die.” When I was able to put my hands on it, I used it to get ideas for where to go next. Now that it’s in a box somewhere and I can’t get to it, it’s harder to keep track of where we’ve been, and where we’d like to go.
I don’t want to forget anything we do or see, so I’m taking this opportunity to write it all down. I’m sure I’m forgetting places we’ve been, and I’ll likely leave out some awesome places to go, so please feel free to correct me.
Perhaps you can help me figure out a list of spots on the globe we don’t want to miss, or, as our dog likes to think of it, where future bushes will be claimed with a lift of his leg. His list of territories has gotten pretty long over the past 8 years.
Let’s start with places I’ve lived:
- Atlanta/Athens/Rome, Georgia (lots of time there, although my first ten years are a bit of a blur of Barbies and skinned knees)
- New Orleans, Louisiana
- Norfolk, Virginia
- Naples, Italy
States I’ve visited:
- Alabama (Auburn, Birmingham, Mobile, Montgomery),
- California (Los Angeles, Napa, San Francisco, Sequoia/Kings Canyon & Yosemite)
- Washington, D.C.
- Florida (Key West, Islamorada, Destin, Daytona Beach, Ponte Vedra, Panama, Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Orlando, Jacksonville…)
- Georgia (um, all cities?)
- Hawaii (Oahu and Kauai)
- Kentucky (Louisville)
- Maryland (Baltimore, Annapolis)
- Massachusetts (Becket, Boston, North Hampton, Springfield)
- Michigan (Detroit)
- Mississippi (Jackson, McComb, Gulfport, Biloxi, Pascagoula, Pass Christian)
- Nevada (Las Vegas, Lake Tahoe)
- New Jersey (around a bunch of roundabouts…)
- New York (Manhattan and somewhere upstate)
- North Carolina (Concord, Sugar/Beach Mountain, Charlotte)
- Oklahoma (Oklahoma City)
- Pennsylvania (Philadelphia)
- Rhode Island (Newport)
- South Carolina (Charleston)
- Tennessee (Chattanooga, Rock City, Lookout Mtn)
- Texas (Houston, Corpus Christi)
- Virginia (Richmond, Chesterfield, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Virginia Beach, Williamsburg, Newport News, Hampton)
- Washington (Seattle, Olympic Peninsula, San Juan Islands)
I’m actually shocked to realize how little of the U.S. I’ve covered. As soon as we’re back, we’ll get to work on that, for sure.
Places I’ve visited outside of the USA:
- Italy – (Rome, Florence, Siena, Sicily (Catania), Torre del Greco, Caserta, Pozzuoli, Sorrento, Positano, Ercolano, all areas around Naples) Also, I have travel planned to Venice, Orvieto and Capri in the next few months.
- France – Paris
- Germany – just to the Neuschwanstein Castle
- Austria – St Anton am Alberg
- Mexico – (Cancun, Cabo)
- Canada – Vancouver
- Dominican Republic – Punta Cana
I feel like I’m missing some stuff, but this is all I can recall.
Where to? Wow, I could go on forever.
Places I want to travel outside of the USA:
- New Zealand
- South Africa
Top destinations I still want to hit within the Continental U.S.:
- Grand Canyon, AZ
- Chicago, IL
- Salt Lake City, UT
- Austin, TX
- The Adirondacks in NY
- Jackson Hole, WY
- Big Sky, MT
- Denver, CO
- Portland, OR
- Carlsbad, CA
I’ve still got a lot of ground to cover…
If you would like any information or tips on somewhere I’ve been, what bushes my dog owns, or you have suggestions, please post a comment. Grazie!