Ever had this conversation?
“Tell me what you want me to say.”
“But if I have to tell you, it doesn’t count.”
When we imagine what our partners dream of us doing for them we imagine grand gestures, expensive trips or gifts, things that are difficult to afford or give; but, more often, the deepest desires are simply for words 0f recognition and appreciation, or a helping hand.
If you’re reading this, there’s a chance your spouse wants to hear one or all of the phrases below. There’s an even better chance you need to hear them, too. All of the words/requests below came from people I know, who will remain anonymous, but I can’t think of anyone who wouldn’t have their day improved with any one of them. Try some on. If one fits, I have a feeling it will make your house an even happier one.
What he/she needs to hear:
- You are such a great mom.
- You are sexy. Not just beautiful; sexy.
- What do you need?
- You’ve been so amazing working on your health and fitness. Let’s start doing that together.
- Tell me what you need from me.
- If I had to do again, I would still marry you again in a heartbeat.
- You’re doing a great job.
- My parents will be here in a minute to watch the kids. I’ve packed your bag and planned a getaway.
- I trust your judgment.
- You sleep in as long as you need to feel rested. I’ll get up and take care of the kids.
- I’m making dinner, cleaning up and bathing the kids tonight. Go have some “you” time.
- I know you can do it all, but let me help.
- I know the game is on tonight, so I can manage everything else while you chill.
- I’m proud of you.
- I know you could have achieved as much success as me if you hadn’t chosen to stay home and raise the kids.
- I took the liberty of hiring a maid.
- Thank you. You work so hard for us.
- I love you more today then I did on our wedding day, and I thought I loved you then.
- I could never be the person I am today without you next to me.
- You’re my best friend, and I love you even when I’m really pissed at you.
- I feel the most at ease when I’m with you.
- Nothing I can do will ever truly show you how much I love you, but I’m willing to keep giving it a shot if you will.
- Let’s go talk to a counselor just for preventative maintenance.
- How can I help?
- You work incredibly hard. I’m inherently impressed.
- I’m home, your shift is over, relax.
Life is so busy, and it’s easy to feel like you should be cleaning or taking care of something while you’re at home, but sometimes you just need to slow down. A quick room transformation helps a lot.
Dimming the lights (so you can’t see the mess you need to clean), putting on a soothing, sexy playlist, lighting candles, pouring some wine and asking each other fun questions while snuggling on the couch can go a long way towards getting back in touch.
There are lots of things you can take care of tomorrow. Your relationship deserves your attention tonight.